Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to SECRETDRIFT

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Sign in to follow this  
benbexton_

Sr20 help!! 1500rpm issue

Hey blokes, recently replaced the motor in a mates 180sx. It was previously running powerfc, but we have now gone back to standard ecu etc. Now our issue is, car runs fine while it’s cold, once it gets to running temp, 5 or so minutes after it’ll go into limp mode and won’t rev past 1-1.5k rpm. I’ve had this issue before on a previous car and turned out to be a dodgy cas, so we swapped it out for a good known one, issue still present, also swapped afm, Anyone come across this before? 

This sounds like something you could suss with the age old stock ecu diagnostic mode! Should be a little screw on the side of the ecu to turn on diagnostic and a LED will flash in sequence for error codes. 

What other modifications did the engine have when it was running the PFC? I assume when you swapped back to the standard ECU that all other items are standard too (injectors, AFM, etc. etc.).

If its seemingly an issue once a bit of temperate is involved, ensure the IACV is working correctly and connected correctly, these are failing more and more these days due to their age (is it the same one that was on the previous motor?).

You've already tried CAS, which would have been my go-to first as well.

The water temp sensor for the ECU will also cause this, again, is it the one from the previous motor? Swap that with a known working one too, these are available on EFI Solutions new (or elsewhere, they're generic).

It isn't VCT is it? Pretty sure the Australian harness had to have pin locations changed to run PFC/Japanese ECU. Very unlikely but thought I would mention.

7 hours ago, Hype said:

It isn't VCT is it? Pretty sure the Australian harness had to have pin locations changed to run PFC/Japanese ECU. Very unlikely but thought I would mention.

That was for fuel pump and NATS wasn't it? Aka wouldn't run at all untill you moved 2 pins on the ecu plug

Problems sorted, car still had the factory cat temp sensor plugged in. Light was lit on dash with old ecu as well so thought nothing of it. As soon as we unplugged it light gone, and limp mode fixed. Haven’t come across that one before hahha. 

• Like 1