Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to SECRETDRIFT

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Sign in to follow this  
Hype

Making it legal

I have been thinking a lot lately about registration and engineering my S13.
There are a fair few people with rego'd drift cars, however I am wondering if anyone has gone to the effort of having modifications engineered and how that has worked out.
Obviously the normal/major things can be modplated, but I have heard of coilovers, rose jointed arms etc. What about things like fiberglass panels and so on?

tldr: who has modplated everything and has it helped with street use.

Might be dependent on state (NSW here) but I've got a mate with an S14 with fibreglass overs front and rear, 5 stud 17/18 stagger, fixed back, 300kw SR20DET - essentially every mod under the sun. The car has previously been red-labelled and since then he's obviously gotten it fixed. When he got it back on the road he decided to get every mod he could engineered so as to never face that problem again. Unfortunately I can't remember what exactly he has engineered on the car.

It just so happened that about 6 months after he got the car back on the road, he got pulled over when grabbing me one day. Clocked at 15 over I think and on full pelt when the HWP officer saw him. He produced the engineer's cert when pulled over and he got let off with a yellow label for the exhaust as he blew some smoke when he got on boost - I couldn't believe it as we pulled away from the curb.

Now had that happened with an un-engineered car, I daresay he would have gotten red labelled again - maybe he passed the attitude check, I'm not sure but I definitely think it's a wise thing to do if you intend to drive your car to events or you enjoy driving your car every now and then on the weekend or something. I intend on getting both my cars engineered when the time comes.

• Like 1

I suppose here in QLD it is common to have a modplate for some things, such as 2 seats instead of 4 etc. But I've heard of people getting everything including coilovers done. 
That is my intention, even though I probably won't drive the car that much. Part of that plan will be to change to an AGI cage, remove tint and do a big tidy up.  

• Like 1

There are some manufacturers offering ADR approved coilovers here in Australia. TEIN super streets were possibly the first, I imagine Pedders are approved too. From memory I had my HSDs mod-plated years ago. Pretty sure I still have the phone number of the engineer that plated pretty much everything on my car for me. 

I always just took the approach that the harder you make it for them to ping you the harder they look. They'll find some bullshit somewhere so be too low with dark tint and let them be on their way. 

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

I always just took the approach that the harder you make it for them to ping you the harder they look. They'll find some bullshit somewhere so be too low with dark tint and let them be on their way. 

Bump this, a lot of hwy patrol are ego driven so having an engineers can be good or doesnt mean shit, depends on the cop! 

I guess I would rather just get done for too low or spacers rather than that plus cage, seats, coilovers, etc.
Not wanting to be that virgin throwing engineers papers at them, but also not wanting to be fined for things that could just be engineered.