Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to SECRETDRIFT

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Andrew

Push Bikes

Anyone into bicycles? 

I've gotten into MTBing, bought a 2011 Giant Reign. I only ride Nerang so far, too slow and fat to bother travelling anywhere else but it's awesome fun. Try to get out three times a week, definitely noticed an improvement but still got a long way to go. I got a Cannondale Prophet the other week for a bottle of rum, needs a chain and cassette but when I have the cash I'll get it riding it anyone wants to come out for a ride. 

I've got an old roadie too, '81 Miyata. Steel frame made in Japan, downtime shifters and stuff. Really nice to ride but don't ride it enough. If I have time to ride I rather the mountain bike. 

Posted (edited)

I've got a free bike I got from work for buying 10 sets of bendix brake pads in one order, does that count??.

It's garbage, no offset on the front forks makes it feel awkward to ride haha

I've also got my old 80s mongoose motomag bmx bike sitting in the shed as well 

Once the border is open if you have that bike going I'm keen andy

Edited by Joey

We've got a stupid good mtb park 45min away (Rotorua - Whakarewarewa Forrest), so ~8 years ago the mrs & I got some refurbed front sus 26" bikes and been going off & on ever since

Went OTB at one point and ended up in hospital. Got back into it heaps more as soon as the boy was big enough to ride on the mid seat

Then upgraded to a 2018 model Haro Shift R5 full sus thanks to the cousin who runs the Haro wholesaler in NZ. Has leveled up the smiles per miles massively

• Like 1

i used to ride a lot of bmx and downhill mtb back in the day. just finally pulled my bikes out of storage a couple weeks ago and have been trying to get my fat ass back into shape haha

spacer.png

7 hours ago, roadblaster said:

I try to ride 3 times a week, specialized enduro. 

I'd imagine you're a whole lot fitter than me but once I get some match fitness I'm keen to explore up your way. 

Anyone use Strava? The new update is a bit of an arsehole. I'm not trying to be the fastest but I like seeing my times compared to mates, probably end up sucked into paying. 

I'm not super fit but I'm running out of daylight before I'm running out of legs at the moment I've been really enjoying it. Fresh air birds chirping. 

Happy to show you my favourite loops. The two main downhill areas of parklands are getting a tidy up at the moment. 

I haven't had a look at updates but the times are annoying top peeps are always on ebikes anyways makes it pointless trying to beat them or get up top. I still try on the downhill stuff. 

IMG_20200426_172540.jpg

• Like 3

That's a nice bike! How many km's do you reckon you do in a ride? I finish work at 2:15, can be at the trails by 2:45ish but have to pick my young fella up by 4:30 so I have to be pretty selective with weekday rides until my half day Friday. Did 15kms last Friday, going to try get it up to the 20ish mark. My fitness has definitely improved but so much more to go and you really do need to go three times a week minimum. 

The new updates make you pay a subscription to see leaderboards. Can't even compare with people you follow anymore.

Ah pretty BS about that I refuse to pay subscriptions for anything. 

My after work rides are 4 to 8k and my weekend rides are 10 to 20.

Could defs push both out but need to do stuff when I get home no point having jelly legs all weekend. 

Grew up racing motocross wrecked my shit pretty badly. Can’t ride again....... ‘at the same level’. Buys MTB bike to ease the cravings//. 
Raced bmx for a few years aswell in my younger years which transitioned to a typical skate park rat Haha. 
Anyways, coming from Toowoomba, we have some epic trails. I’m only new to the sport and I’ve found I love it so much. I don’t know if it’s because a lot of technique can be cross referenced or what, but the smiles per miles and sketchiness of it has me proper hooked. Have a lot of friends that have always been into it and I’ve always been around them. Always found myself having small goes on their stuff Finally bit the bullet and ended up with a Merida 160-700. Not the best as I’ve already found its limits sending big jumps (it’s an all mountain bike), DONT get me wrong, It’s a super good bike, but I wish I had someone with me when I went to the shop so I knew what I was looking at haha. Really want to upgrade To a purpose built DH and keep this as an enduro/fitness bike

was thinking either a YT TUES, or a commencial furious. 

6D7B0F5F-EF81-4E82-8602-02941C409DE4.jpeg

• Like 2

I've never been able to jump bikes and never got into dirt bikes so I'm a proper gumby but I'm having fun learning. Been riding since January and have had some stacks but always managed to stay standing, never hit the deck, until yesterday. Stacked twice in the one ride. Nothing major, reminds me how shit gravel rash is though. 

First stack was just me being a retard but I was riding like shit the whole ride really. My rear brakes are pretty cooked, lever nearly hits the grip and I'm thinking I'm grabbing a whole lot more front to compensate and it's putting me in some weird spots. 

• Like 1

I binned it on Friday and scratched up my knee tat and I got super mad and threw my bike down the hill. Then had to do the awkward walk to get said bike. And finish my run with a bleeding knee. All I did was I did a black diamond run and come into a rock garden completely unprepared and went OTB hahah 

Yeah my stack was just going over a log. Even has dirt either side to make it easy but I must've just hit it too fast, front wheel went up then the back wheel tipped me and by the time the front wheel landed I was already going over the bars. Tried to ditch the bike between my legs but went down on knee and shoulder. Second crash just washed out and grazed forearm and bruised my hip. 

• Haha 1

Got a question for all you mtb dudes. I've been slowly getting obsessed with doing long wheelies and manuals lately and decided I've reached the limit of my free repco spec work nugget (only reach about 50m on the flat before my shit brakes become useless and my momentum gets too much). Now my problem is I grew up with bmx life so mtb are new to me.

So its time I buy something half decent, I want it to be able to ride to work(15-20mins without being to uncomfortable) so Basically I'm thinking of going a hardtail 29er as they seem to be available in the styles and set-ups that seem to be OK to me. 

But if any of you guys are good at this sort of stuff do you have any recommendations on things I should be looking for.

Basically my current search is hydralic disc brakes and hardtail that looks like it could work  haha 

• Like 1

Yeah any 29er hardtail will do. Can spend anything from $300 to the new limited run Yeti at a cool 15k for a fucking hardtail. Madness. 

There's millions on gumtree, depends what you're after really. You might slowly get keen to do more riding if you get one you enjoy, just all depends on budget. Anything from the bigger brands is usually quality and often hardly used if buying second hand. 

• Like 1

Found some sketchy abandoned trails in Canberra that really got me keen to get a bike but I know I’d end up breaking bones

497A8A7C-255E-42F5-8F4E-A90927344EE3.thumb.jpeg.fd25e3a86bdbabbb8fdacea2167ba1f9.jpeg

5297A871-722B-4633-A689-DA86AA130FAB.thumb.jpeg.037c224f0ccb65a0eedd0b3f66c7f5ce.jpeg

B35B160F-A294-4B53-BC39-80B9119AF752.thumb.jpeg.10527c7e0d49879fb1872bbfea6bb3a8.jpeg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

Yeah any 29er hardtail will do. Can spend anything from $300 to the new limited run Yeti at a cool 15k for a fucking hardtail. Madness. 

There's millions on gumtree, depends what you're after really. You might slowly get keen to do more riding if you get one you enjoy, just all depends on budget. Anything from the bigger brands is usually quality and often hardly used if buying second hand. 

Yeah I'm going to say 15k is out of my budget haha. But up to probably 1k and I will be happy if I can get the stuff on one I want.

3 hours ago, jay70 said:

Found some sketchy abandoned trails in Canberra that really got me keen to get a bike but I know I’d end up breaking bones

497A8A7C-255E-42F5-8F4E-A90927344EE3.thumb.jpeg.fd25e3a86bdbabbb8fdacea2167ba1f9.jpeg

5297A871-722B-4633-A689-DA86AA130FAB.thumb.jpeg.037c224f0ccb65a0eedd0b3f66c7f5ce.jpeg

B35B160F-A294-4B53-BC39-80B9119AF752.thumb.jpeg.10527c7e0d49879fb1872bbfea6bb3a8.jpeg

Canberra has heaps of trails apparently. Some real nice riding. 

Northern NSW has a fair bit of stuff too Joey. Get keen. 

Have a Sunday BMX collecting dust in the Garage. To old and sore to ever think about riding it, same goes for all my skateboards. 

So I went and bought a new bike. 

Ended up with a specialized rockhopper sport. Basically a 29in hardtail with hydralic discbrakes so hopefully its a decent start point.

I got lucky and found a local store had one of the last in stock and its a awesome bike to ride but the step up in wheel size has increased my gumbyness. Should be easy to get used to though.

Keen for heaps more riding and trying to get some consistency to some long distance wheelies/manuals

• Like 1

Picked mine up today, got new chain, cassette and BB put on. It used to try eat the derailleur if I tried for the big ring which sucked. Keen to see how much nicer it is to ride. 

I'm hoping I can get a Tewantin camping/riding trip in next year. Looks like a cool set of trails. 

• Like 2

I bought mine for a bit of fun and riding to and from work but now I'm starting to see how addictive and expensive this hobby can become haha

Here's my basic rig,  done a good 100km so far and it hasn't killed me and now I've started looking at stuff you can buy

20200905_194024.jpg

• Like 2

Chop that bloody dork disc off the back Joey. No style points for that. I thought it would be cheap too but even just the consumables from all of our trails being sand/silt adds up, then the shit I break because I'm a retard, then the cool shit you rent, my $500 bike is probably more of a $1200 so far. Good fun though. I average about 40kms a week but that could quickly come down to zero with a baby due in three weeks.