Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to SECRETDRIFT

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Sign in to follow this  
Streetkarnage

Tow Cars

Thought it would be good to hear what people are using for tow cars.
I really want to get VW T5 or T6 Transporter in the future but my old boy has a 2018 BMW X5 which is turbo diesel so have been using that from time to time. which has made me want to get one of them.  

Year/Make/Model: .
Drive: .
Motor: .
Transmission: .
Fuel: .
Towing Capacity: .
Towing Modifications: .
Pros: .
Cons: .
Rough price: .
Comments:  .

Post a picture of you towing your drift car as well,if you have one. 

Posted (edited)

Year/Make/Model: BMW e70 X5M
Drive: 4WD
Motor: S63B44 Twin Turbo V8 550Hp
Transmission:  ZF 6 Speed Auto
Fuel: Petrol 98 OC
Towing Capacity: 2700KG
Towing Modifications: None
Pros: Rear bags keep it nice and level, heaps of room in the cabin, easily able to maintain speed going up hills and its comfortable too.
Cons: 20L/100km
Rough price: $35-60k pending options
Comments:  Its awesome.

89509101_10158249353243680_2433179340612042752_o (2).jpg

Edited by DioXidE
updated to suit template
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Year/Make/Model: 2013 VF Commodore SV6
Drive: RWD
Motor: 3.6L V6
Transmission: .
Fuel: Anything, E10-E85/91-98
Towing Capacity: 2100 (apparently only 1600 unless have load leveling according to forums but manual says 2100)
Towing Modifications: OEM HD towbar and harness, RED ARC EBC.
Pros: Surprisingly a lot, the 2013/14 still had flex sensors so I can dump old E85 in it and get fresh stuff for the silvia, Heaps of room inside for people or cargo with folding seats, the V6 with 6 speed surprisingly capable, especially compared to a VT v6 and 4 speed I had back in the day, remote start is cool, all the modernish tech
Cons: No load leveling bags available, so cant go to Ultra lows and still pump it up for towing, only option a full bag setup. Chews fuel on E85 for not really noticeable gain, made sense when these were new and E85 was $0.99 but now its more if dumping older stuff in it so doesn't go to waste or was getting jerry cans so top up the tank
Rough price: .
Comments:  Replaced my VY SS sedan and besides noise making and a bit slower upgrade in every sense. The 6 speed makes up for a lot of gaps so seems to deal with most situations in as well a fashion as a V8 4 speed. If get cut off going up a hill going to rev the crap out of it, but that going to happen no matter what you are in. In love with the wagon for day to day and got a lot more shit in it that I would have had to negotiate a car trailer with in old sedan. Is just lowered on superlows ( only 15mm lower than stock FE2 that was in it) and some X5 20x10/11 wheels. Would like lower ect but plays the part for daily and gets in most shopping centers ect with only light scuffs on steep ramps and speed bumps

Never been about the BCF life and seems like these were last of era of something that can tow car and trailer yet not be jacked up duel cab/SUV. It acts like a normal car for the other 99% that I drive it for the once a month or 2 I tow. On the look out for a VF2 redline wagon as I like it that much once prices stabilise with all the holden closing and covid stuff. As I  feel like last of a car that can tow but still be a normal car the rest of the time, plus LS3 and brembos and probably keep for a while as nothing in the pipeline similar. Will lose E85 capability as they stopped that in 2015 VF1 but loud noises

100988955_582568182371598_334781009822220288_n.thumb.jpg.c3a614d49ef1ac77aacf2870822791e6.jpg

Edited by Streetkarnage
updated to suit template
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, (Locky) said:

just lowered on superlows ( only 15mm lower than stock FE2 that was in it) 

How does it go with towing on lowered springs? Does it drag the bum on the ground? I have a ve wagon and would like to lower it but thats been my concern 

Edited by Loob76

Year/Make/Model: . 2011 Holden Commodore seris 2 SV6
Drive: . RWD
Motor: . 3.6L LY7 or whatever they call them
Transmission: . Auto
Fuel: . Petrol
Towing Capacity: . 2.1t
Towing Modifications: . Hayman Reece heavy duty tow bar
Pros: . Comfy as fuck to cruise long distances. Most parts are cheap and readily available because "Commodore"
Cons: . It being a Commodore. Also a bit thirsty when towing
Rough price: .

Good comfy car to tow with. Id stick with the wagon over ute or sedan anyday but thats just me. Heaps of room in the back for whatever, i easily fitted 12 rims and tires in the back with back seats down.

i have some rotiforms waiting to go on when i can get tires for them or when the tires on the car now run out of life. Would like to lower it eventually as well

20191006_141359.jpg

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Loob76 said:

How does it go with towing on lowered springs? Does it drag the bum on the ground? I have a ve wagon and would like to lower it but thats been my concern 

Compresses about a cm or 2 with car loaded in middle of trailer and boot full of tools and spares

Though in that pick you seem to load.your car a lot further forward than me so putting a lot more weight on the ball so making the rear drop more

Only on super lows, whish isn't low for ve/VF only about 15mm lower than stock fe2 (sv6/ss). I would like to go ultralow but then probably have issues loaded

Only have rolled guards and 20x11 with a 275 and only had a handful of light scrubs when towing on ginant bumps, my vy on first level lowering springs and 225 on 19x10 scrubbed way more on the same bumps even with load leveling bags

Pic above with full track day load, this is it normally

20190719_191644.thumb.jpg.62fa53b09450a1a818f118a0c9254ebf.jpg

Edited by (Locky)

18 hours ago, (Locky) said:

Compresses about a cm or 2 with car loaded in middle of trailer and boot full of tools and spares

Though in that pick you seem to load.your car a lot further forward than me so putting a lot more weight on the ball so making the rear drop more

ahh k. i should be alright to lower it when i get to it then! cheers for help/ input. ill watch how far forward i put the car on the trailer as well

On 6/1/2020 at 2:57 PM, Streetkarnage said:

Year/Make/Model: 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser 
Drive: . Part time 4wd
Motor: . 4.5 v8 turbo diesel
Transmission: . 5 speed manual
Fuel: diesel
Towing Capacity: . Dunno
Towing Modifications: .old man emu gvm upgrade and lift
Pros: .pulls decent, good work Ute 
Cons: . Absolute shit turning circle, get used to 3 point turns with a trailer or reversing out a whole street when you can’t turn in the cul de sac, uncomfortable 
Rough price: .35-90k depending year and spec 
Comments:  .good for work in the bush, horrible for anything else unless you spend 30k on top of purchase price

104C87AE-A314-4891-A23B-0118AEBDC01E.thumb.jpeg.3857d7f9736406cdcf01b4b793a8f922.jpeg
5B78215D-2FF4-4D2A-B331-B2CE843ADED2.thumb.jpeg.4ab0edeb6a5335be8ea08c6746ee68f4.jpeg

• Like 1

Year/Make/Model: .2003 spce cab hilux
Drive: .rwd
Motor: .3rz
Transmission: . Standard 3rz box
Fuel: . Petrol
Towing Capacity: . 1800
Towing Modifications: . Electric brake controller, new rear shocks and shackles
Pros: . Tows great, fuel economy is great towing, big tub plenty of room for tools, wheels, tyres, space cab so plenty of room inside for personal items.
Cons: . Is slow when towing, sucks up hills. Great for small cars but not bigger cars
Rough price: . $3000-$6000
Comments:  . These are bang for buck imo and just keep going and are pretty common, can slap a ebay turbo kit and still use the stock ecu, 7psi and it’ll love it. 
3625954E-D2FF-4ABA-B128-7D6A10E251E0.thumb.jpeg.285b3d589e7428a45e0f170f055db314.jpeg